Search site

Repairs and maintenance

Council housing repairs

Request a repair

Gas servicing

Tenant repairing responsibilities

Council property adaptations

Mansfield District Council's housing repairs service provides day to day repairs for council properties, as well as planned maintenance, major improvement works and adaptations for tenants with a disability. 

Council housing repairs

We are responsible for keeping the outside of your home and its basic structure in good repair. We are also responsible for maintaining installations (such as central heating, water heating and the supply of gas, electricity and water) in good working order.

Any repairs that we are responsible for are prioritised, depending upon the category they fall into and includes emergency repairs.

Emergency repairs are something which may cause serious risk or damage to the building or to your health and safety.

Please be aware that you may be charged for using the out-of-hours service if your repair is not an emergency.

As well as carrying out day to day repairs on your homes, we also carry out improvement works to ensure that all our properties continue to meet the decent homes standard set by the government.

Request a repair

Call: 01623 463500


For emergencies outside of office hours (5pm to 8.30am Mon - Thurs, 4.30pm to 8.30am Fri and during weekends) call 01623 463050.

When you contact us we will need to know:

  • Your name, address and a contact telephone number.
  • Details of the repair.
  • Times that are convenient for us to carry out the repair.
  • If you have registered a vulnerability with us.

Please let us know if you are hard of hearing, or may have difficulty in getting to the door when someone calls.

We will:

  • Tell you if the repair is your responsibility or ours.
  • Advise if an inspection is required.
  • Arrange a convenient time for an inspector or operative to call if we are able. In some instances we may have to contact you at a later date to arrange access, for example when we have to order special parts. We can offer appointments for non urgent repairs for a morning or an afternoon depending on the nature of the repair.
  • Provide you with the job number and the target time for the repair if you request this information.
  • Advise you if the repair is rechargeable to you.

Gas servicing

We carry out an annual service on all gas appliances and systems in council properties in the district. The annual service is extremely important and failure to carry out the service can result in an appliance becoming a potential hazard.

All gas engineers are registered and qualified to the standards required by the Gas Safe Register.

We will contact you two weeks in advance to inform you of your appointment. Once the gas safety checks have been completed, we will provide you with a copy of the certificate for your home.

Gas safety checks are a legal requirement. Therefore if access to your property is denied, we are able to use gas restrictors or may take legal action.

Tenant repairing responsibilities

You are responsible for all internal decorations and keeping your home, yard or garden clean and well maintained.

You are also responsible for repairing, or replacing, or meeting the cost of replacement of any items which are damaged by you, your friends, relatives or someone else living with or visiting you.

Unless you are elderly, disabled or otherwise vulnerable, you are responsible for repairing or replacing:

  • inside door handles
  • tiling in kitchens, bathrooms and on fireplaces
  • toilet chains, toilet seats, plugs for sinks, basins and baths
  • blocked inlets to drains
  • catches and hinges on cupboards
  • front door furniture (number, letterbox, chain etc.)
  • fine cracks in plaster work
  • ash pans for open fires, and
  • insulation or draught proofing.

Further information regarding repairing responsibilities can be found in the pdf icon Tenants Repair Handbook [363kb]

Council property adaptations

If you are a disabled tenant or someone living with you is disabled and you require your property to be adapted in some way, you may qualify for assistance.

We offer assistance to people with a disability to make it easier for them to continue to live in their home and maintain their independence

The adaptation can be very simple, such as an extra stair rail or more complex like a stair lift. We organise all the work to be carried out.

We have a waiting list and prioritise applications so that the most urgent cases are dealt with quickly.

If your home needs a lot of adaptations, a move to a more suitable property may be appropriate.

To be eligible you must be registered as disabled with us or meet the criteria for registration.

You will need to have had an assessment from an occupational therapist at Nottinghamshire County Council to see what adaptations are needed. A recommendation is then required from them in order for us to complete the adaptation.

To book an assessment, please contact Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80.

Contact us Contact us

Powered by GOSS iCM