Search site

Your council property

Tenancy charges

Home contents insurance

Moving into your new council home

Leaving your council home

Conditions of tenancy

Difficulties in paying your rent

Mansfield District Council owns and manages approximately 6,500 social rented properties and provides services for its customers across the district.

Tenancy charges

We collect housing rent to pay for the services we provide including the repair and maintenance of our properties.

If you owe us money we expect you to pay and whilst there are a variety of ways to pay your tenancy charges, our preferred method is by Direct Debit.

The amount of rent you pay for your council home will be stated on your new tenancy charges letter. You may be entitled to Housing Benefit to help pay some or all of your rent, depending on your income and circumstances. From April 2013 there have been changes to housing benefit for some tenants who under-occupy their council home.

Home contents insurance

It is the responsibility of tenants to insure their contents against damage or loss.

The council has an arrangement with the Royal & Sun Alliance Plc which offers household insurance to council tenants.  

The Simple Household Insurance Scheme covers most of your household goods and contents including bicycles and computer equipment when they are in your home. They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood. Also insured are lost or stolen keys, freezer contents and improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors etc.

All you need to do is work out how much money it would cost to replace the contents of your home and choose the appropriate level of cover, which starts from as little as 66 pence per week for £6,000 worth of cover.

To apply for household contents insurance, contact Royal & Sun Alliance Plc on 03456 718 172.

Moving into your new council home

When you move into your council home you will be provided with a word icon Moving In Standard [589kb] booklet which explains the standard that the property should meet when you move in.

You will be provided with a list of all works that have been completed to meet the standard, along with details of any outstanding work to be done after you move into the property (including timescales).

Leaving your council home

The word icon Moving Out Standard [579kb] booklet explains the standard we expect you to leave your property in when you move out.

Once you have left your property, we will inspect it and carry out any necessary repair work so that it meets the required standard. We will charge you for any work that we have to do, so it is in your own interest to make sure that you do everything you can to meet the standard.

You will need to give us four weeks' notice before you move, so this will give you time to make sure that your property meets the standard.

If you are being considered for another council property, we will inspect your property before you can be formally offered another property to ensure that it meets the standard.

If your property fails the inspection, we will notify you in writing as to why it has failed and give you time to put things right. We will visit you again after 28 days.

The offer of the property will also be withdrawn and the property will be offered to the next person on the list. You will not normally be considered for any further properties for a period of six months and this period will start when the property has been brought up to the moving out standard.

Conditions of tenancy

When signing up for a council property, you agree to abide by the conditions of your tenancy. These conditions reflect legal requirements and locally agreed conditions, which reflect local issues identified through consultation with tenants and other stakeholders.

The conditions include rules on keeping pets and anti-social behaviour.

If you break the conditions of your tenancy agreement, or allow other members of your household or your visitors to break the conditions, we may take legal action against you. This can include evicting you from your home.

Difficulties in paying your rent

Your rent is due from the day you begin your tenancy. Your rent account will fall into arrears if:

  • you make your payments late
  • only make a partial payment, or
  • miss payments altogether.

You should tell us straight away if you are having problems paying your rent. We will discuss your circumstances and will try to find an arrangement for you to pay your rent, plus an amount to clear the arrears, according to your debt and ability to pay.

Remember that you must always meet your priority debts - if you don't pay your rent you could become homeless.

We can also help you by:

  • Helping you to get independent advice.
  • Providing you with useful contacts including our in-house Money Advisor and Welfare Reform Officer who can help you manage your finances.
  • Helping you to work out which of your debts are a priority.
  • Explaining what benefits you may be entitled to.

If you do not make an agreement to pay, or clear your arrears, we will have no option but to take further action against you which may, as a last resort, include eviction. If you are evicted for rent arrears, we may find you intentionally homeless. We don't have a duty to re-house you.

Contact us Contact us

Powered by GOSS iCM