Search site

Grants available to help independent living

Grants of up to £40,000 are available to help support the most vulnerable people in the Mansfield District to live independently.

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) help to pay for essential adaptations to make it easier for disabled residents to get into and around their home, make their home safer, make it easier to use the bathroom and kitchen and to adapt heating and lighting controls.

DFGs can be used to provide equipment such as stairlifts, ceiling track hoists, through floor lifts, accessible shower facilities and wash and dry toilets.

To be eligible for a grant a resident must:

  • be disabled
  • either own their own home or rent from a private landlord or housing association
  • have difficulty managing daily living tasks
  • be assessed as having a need

If they live in Council-owned or housing association property they may still be able to get adaptations to their home, but they may be funded differently.

If disabled residents think they would benefit from a DFG they should contact Nottinghamshire County Council's Occupational Therapy (OT) service on 0300 500 8080.

The OT service will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit the resident, assess their needs and recommend what adaptations are needed to help them to live more independently at home.

The OT service will inform Mansfield District Council which work is necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of their client. The District Council's Strategic Housing service will then consider the application. A financial assessment will also be carried out to see what, if any, contribution should be made by the resident.

Cllr Derek Evans, the Portfolio Holder for Housing Strategy and Regeneration, approved a DFG policy on 21 November. This outlines the policy that will be applied by the Council in the provision of DFGs.

Cllr Evans said: "These grants are available to make it easier for disabled residents to live more independently so we would urge anyone who thinks they would benefit from home adaptations such as those outlined above to contact Nottinghamshire County Council to see if they are eligible for an Occupational Therapy assessment."

Published 30 November 2012

Contact us Contact us

Powered by GOSS iCM